How Social Media Works
Social Media Networking is growing rapidly and you be like many other
businesses in Houston jumping on the social bandwagon but do not have
a clue what to do once they get online. To sum up the process in a nutshell,
you register, setup your profile and then you begin the process of finding
and interacting with like minded people to become your friends or join
groups that have similar interests. Wow, kinds sounds like your first
day of Jr. High school doesn't it? Actually, it is quite similar. You
have to reach out and interact with others and get them to trust you or
figure out how to encourage them to introduce you to their trusted friends.
The common elements on most Social Networking sites are as follows:
- Profile: One of the first things you need to do is create a profile that provides an overview of who you are and what you are all about. You need to describe your interests and other important factors so your audience can understand your overall personality.
- Friends: One of the most important steps you can do with Social Networking sites is to build a list of Friends. The people that agree to be your Friends become your trusted network. They can provide access to their friends or groups of friends. You have heard the old saying “Sometimes It Is Not What You Know, It Is Who You Know”. This is especially true with Social Media Networking. Establishing a connection with a friend that has many other friends can open doors for you that could take you months to establish on your own.
- Comments: This is also referred to as Discussion Threads. In order to establish trust with your Friends and various Groups, you need to actively participate in discussion threads. You must comment and provide value. You need to figure out how to be a giver and not a taker. The more you give for free, the more you will be trusted. If you are always making posts to buy your products and services but you rarely provide valuable content that builds trust, you will find that your audience will not respond the way you had anticipated.
- Groups: Friends are classified into various groups based on themes or areas of interests. You will likely find different sets of Friends based on the different sets of interests or niches. Whether you are into Knitting or Sports, you can connect with groups and gain new friends that have the same like minded interests. It is best only to join Groups where you know you can actively participate and add value.
- Blogs: While there are very specific Blog sites such as Wordpress.com, many people perform their blogging through their Social Media networking pages. Alternatively, some bloggers initiate posts from their Social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter then link back to their production Blog.
Can Social Media Help Your Business?
While some people join Social Media sites to interact with friends while providing awareness status on what's going on with their personal life, others join for business purposes in order to make business connections or to promote their products and services to their target audiences. Companies of all sizes are now beginning to require their Marketing and Public Relations departments to leverage Social Media for promoting the company brand. Social Media has become extremely effective to allow companies to rapidly get their message out to large target audience.
Imagine the benefits of being able to get your solid Social Media strategy in front of millions of individuals within hours compared the process taking days or weeks using traditional promotional processes and procedures. A company can release information that consists of audio, images and video that is carefully formatted to highlight key points or messages. The information is immediately picked up by bloggers and other media aggregation sites.